Teacup Pincushion Inspiration

When I am on Pinterest, I often look at the DIY tab for inspiration. I can’t take credit for all my different diys, often I see them and want to share my experience with them with you. The blog where I found this diy can be found here.

I found a great teacup at the thrift store, once again, for $2! If you want a teacup that has its own plate, you can use that too. Antique stores are guaranteed to have tea cups, but you will pay at least $10 to $15 each.


This is my teacup 🙂 It has a very wide cup, so it can hold lots of pins in the cushion. Here are my steps:

1. Pick out a favorite fabric and cut a circle out of it. You should only need a fat quarter of it. I did not measure my circle precisely, I just winged it with scissors. The first circle I cut out was too small, but I made a second circle for the cushion that was perfect.

2. Run a threaded needle with stitching all around the edge of the fabric circle. It’s a simple in and out stitch. The stitching is shown in the picture below, but the thread is white, and may be a bit difficult to see.

20150729_204757 20150729_204755


4. Pull the needle tight, so that the stitches come together to form a tight bunch. Make a knot at this point to keep the stitching pulled tight for when you stuff it.

5. Stuff that thing to bursting! Be careful when stuffing to know put too much strain on the thread opening. I found that just using one finger worked best.

6. If you would like, to keep it in place easier, but some hot glue around the bottom of the pincushion so it keeps it’s place in your teacup. Then, push the cushion into place in your cup.






Thrift Store Finds

Like I said before, I love thrift stores! One of my dad’s favorite things to do when we go shopping at a thrift store is to find the one object that no one will ever buy. I’ll have to post about those adventures sometime. But for now, I wanted to share with you some great finds from when I’ve been shopping at my local Goodwill. Since I love gold, you will see the color often in my purchases!










I love that I have a plaster take on the Last Supper. Compared to the many 70s prints of it available, I much prefer this in my dining room!

Wall Decor Idea

I love old handkerchiefs! So many of them were hand embroidered with love, and you can find them at almost any antique store. I recently read about an idea of how to display them: in an embroidery hoop on your wall. Since I had a few laying around, I decided to give this a try. First, I hand stained the wood of the embroidery hoop, but you can always paint them your favorite colors as well!



I simply stretched the two handkerchiefs in their hoops. The handkerchief on the right I got a deal on since it had some burn marks on it. But since only part of it is displayed, this is a way to get a deal on beautiful linens!

I saw a wall spread in a magazine, which basically had magazine pages covering it. Romantic homes or vintage magazines are full of inspirational pictures, so I picked out my favorites and pinned them on my wall. Call it a personal Pinterest wall. The embroidery hoops and some washi tape finished everything off perfectly.




Furniture Overhaul 1

I have these beautiful, yet dated end tables from my late Great Grandmother. I love how sturdy everything is that was built before the 90s rush of particle board and cardboard furniture substitutes. At first, I didn’t know what to do with the large cabinet, so I started spraying it with primer. However, I realized I didn’t want to just paint these pieces because they are quite large and clunky.



I like to think of myself as an “impatient” crafter. I see a lot of craft blogs with sweet pictures where they give you tutorials that require you to take a long time to finish a project. When I do something, I want to see results! However, in this case, extra steps can really make a difference. I decided I wanted to stain the top of the piece, and paint the rest. This meant sanding off this finish on top, which was fine with me, even though I was gonna paint it dark again. In some old wood stains, it looks like they used black paint flecks as part of the finish, and I just don’t care for that look.

20150711_175905 20150711_180743


First things first, take of the hardware! I ended up spray painting it a darker color. In this case, it is definitely easier to take off the hardware than try to tape it off while painting the piece. For the end table, I chose a nice deep blue/turquoise color. I used a paint sample from Valspar at Lowe’s. They give just the right amount of paint and only cost about a dollar more than a small acrylic paint bottle.



I finished off the paint by rubbing some stain over it. I used a pecan satin stain for a weathered look. Just rub it in the direction of the grain. I painted the inside of the piece too, so it wasn’t so dark. The top I used a dark, red oak stain for the top.


Meanwhile, in hardware town:


The color was an oil rubbed bronze I believe. I finished off the piece by painting on a layer of polyurethane in a satin finish to the entire piece. I did two more coats of polyurethane to the top, just to make it shinier. Although this step is technically optional (I usual despise the extra time it takes for a clear coat to dry), I have to say I really like how it made the cupboard turn out!